What's It all About ???

This page is all about the building and flying of radio controlled model aircraft. It's a highly diversified hobby that takes in as many skills as you like to use. Everything from electronics to carpentry, to painting, to drawing and designing with a little bit of metal work thrown in. Some builders even go into doing their own machining, pattern designing, fibre glassing, moulding and engine design. You can use electric motors, 2 stroke or 4 stroke internal combustion engines or even minature turbine (jet) engines for power. My own models use 2 and 4 stroke internal combustion engines and range in size from about a metre in wingspan to well over 3 metres from tip to tip!


Friday, June 29, 2012

This weeks Progress 24th to 30 June

As you will have noticed in the last post I got sidetracked with the plans for a Big Lazy Bee - The plan shows a lot of laminated bits - the elevator trailing edge - the complete outline of the fin and rudder and two massive wing tips - remember that this model has a 21" cord and a 72" span.  So I've spent the last few days stripping 3 sheets of 3/32 balsa into 3/16" wide strips - thank god for Dubro's little balsa stripper. I've laid up the laminations on their  formers and as soon as they are fully dry - each strip has to be soaked in water and bent around the formers - I'll start building the tail feathers. Once that is done it's time for me to start building the fuselage. The fuselage is a fairly convention structure even though it's an unusual shape. I'm, taking photos as I go so as soon as I have a reasonable number of interesting ones I'll start the build thread on it's own page.


The Lancaster, the Lanzo bomber and the Hustler Delta have pretty much come to a halt this week while I wait for more balsa supplies to arrive but I'm now in the process of covering the Senior Telemaster. I'm using Oracoat and Solartex to cover it with and the colour scheme is a loose interpretation of a Military Forward Observation aircraft. I thought something a bit different from the usual two colour scheme this type of model gets would be interesting. I have a fairly quiet week ahead and plenty of build time so next week's post should be a bit longer than usual - hmmm - that sounds like famous last words??