What's It all About ???

This page is all about the building and flying of radio controlled model aircraft. It's a highly diversified hobby that takes in as many skills as you like to use. Everything from electronics to carpentry, to painting, to drawing and designing with a little bit of metal work thrown in. Some builders even go into doing their own machining, pattern designing, fibre glassing, moulding and engine design. You can use electric motors, 2 stroke or 4 stroke internal combustion engines or even minature turbine (jet) engines for power. My own models use 2 and 4 stroke internal combustion engines and range in size from about a metre in wingspan to well over 3 metres from tip to tip!


Friday, August 10, 2012

Week 5th to 11th August


Another week rolls by! Seems the only thing that gets faster as you get older is how fast time passes. I've been working on the Lanzo Bomber and the Aero Commander this week. I've also done a bit on the Telemaster - managed to find a BIG piece of aluminium to make the undercarriage and ordered a set of Dubro 4" inflatable wheels. Now all I need to do is finish fitting the 4 servos in the wing for ailerons and flaps and it's finally finished.

The Lanzo Bomber is still in early stages of construction and I'm currently struggling with the bloody wing pylon  - construction is more complicated than it seems and sheeting the pylon is a nightmare. Don't ever let anyone convince you it's an easy build! I've done the fin/rudder and the tailplane/elevator - at least that is pretty straight foreward. I've just cut out the blanks for the wing ribs and will begin shapping them next week. I should have some construction photos to post then.

The Aero Commander is finally getting some progress - I confess to having left it at the back of the hanger for to long so now I'm working on cutting out the bulkheads for the fibreglass fuselage shell. Although I have the original plan it's not big on detail - the original kit had all the parts precut so there are no guidelines - much work to plot, cut and trial fit each bulkhead.

The Mosquito, the Hustler Delta, the Lancaster and the Fournier haven't made any progress to speak of this week but they are still there on the bench and whispering to me each morning. I'm sort of trying to establish a steady order of priority and make sure I've taken photos of the progress on each model. So next week the report will be mostly photos and progress details.

Now - the continuing saga of those bloody electric Helicopters. Well - it seems there was this tree and I - eeeeer - you get the picture. Mate of mine is a bit of a wiz with nitro heli's and he reckons he can shoe horn my little Cox .049 RC into the remains and connect up all the bits properly - well we will see but if he can do it I will be eternally greatful. After fiddling with the bloody things - recharging batteries an upteen times and getting an average flight duration of 7 minutes I'm definitely no fan of electrics - NITRO FOR EVER!!!!

Oh Yeah - I've updated the Gallery a bit and and started the pages for the Lanzo Bomber and the Big Lazy Bee - no photos yet but I'm working on it