What's It all About ???

This page is all about the building and flying of radio controlled model aircraft. It's a highly diversified hobby that takes in as many skills as you like to use. Everything from electronics to carpentry, to painting, to drawing and designing with a little bit of metal work thrown in. Some builders even go into doing their own machining, pattern designing, fibre glassing, moulding and engine design. You can use electric motors, 2 stroke or 4 stroke internal combustion engines or even minature turbine (jet) engines for power. My own models use 2 and 4 stroke internal combustion engines and range in size from about a metre in wingspan to well over 3 metres from tip to tip!


Thursday, October 11, 2012

Another Update

This post should be titled - "Just when you thought it was safety to go back to the building board" !! A fellow club member recently had an "unfortunate" equipment failure with his Bird of Time electric power assisted glider. Of course I absolutely adore that model so guess who ended up with the pieces? Now I need another project like I need a hole in  the head - BUT - I told myself - it IS a Bird of Time and it might be repairable AND the club member gave me all the bits! I'm a dedicated IC engine fan so the electric motor, lipos and other assorted stuff was returned to the owner. Now I have a project to rebuild a Bird of Time as the pure glider it was first designed to be. It's late at night here right now - well actually early in the morning - like 2 minutes to one AM! So - as I spent most of the evening pulling the thing apart - cutting out the broken bits and planning how to fix it I'm completely worn out. I've taken photographs of the damage and I have some of the Telemaster and the Lancaster as well - they are from the CD of recovered photos my mate done for me - but right now I'm to damn tired to post them - it will wait till the morning. Come back tomorrow if you are interested.